Just Write ~ The First

September 13, 2011

We are driving along, just the two of us. I channel surf for tunes as Elsie Jane kicks and coos from her backwards position behind me. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is where I land and I sing it at the top of my lungs, windows down.

Somehow she loves it when I sing.

The working day is never done, but girls, they wanna have fuhunn.

I pass by a house with much recycling out front. Cans and cans and bottles and bottles and cardboard boxes. All from alcohol. I think about how that used to be my end of the driveway and how it didn’t take long to add up and so I’d try to hide parts of it under cola types of things.

I think about how, with the boys, I had to pump and dump a lot and worry because it is very simple: I was drinking too much. Maybe I was trying to chase away boredom, cause girls they wanna have fun.

But now it’s September and it’s in the 80′s, bright and sunny and new and for some reason I have on a long-sleeved shirt. Elsie starts to fuss, she doesn’t really like the car, and so I speed up a little and sing a little louder. I turn on our street and I realize that I am chasing boredom with a song.

I put my arm out the window and wave it a little and we pull up, bump bump, up the empty driveway, and we’re home.

:::

This is the first installment of Just Write, an exercise in free writing your ordinary and extraordinary moments. {Please see the details here.}  I would love to read your freely written words so join me and link up below. You can add the url of your post at any time. Just be sure it’s a link to your Just Write post, not to your main page. There are really no rules, besides Just Write! (Then link back to this post in your post so people know where to go if they’d like to join in.) (Any links not following those two guidelines will be deleted.)

Also. Please take a moment to visit someone else who has linked up! It’s a really good way to meet new writers and get inspired by the meaning behind their moments. Word?

Thank you!

Psst: One more thing…you can Grab the Button if you’d like. Here’s the code:

Just Write
Just Write

Galit Breen September 13, 2011 at 5:56 am

I love this exercise, and your words. I hear your song. XO
Galit Breen recently posted..A Modern Love Story

darcie September 13, 2011 at 6:56 am

I wish my words would flow as freely as yours…
I love this…one day, I may join in! xoxo

Heather September 13, 2011 at 7:06 am

Thank you, lady.

And you know what? YOU CAN.

xo

Krista September 13, 2011 at 6:58 am

I LOVE this link up, Heather! And your post is so vivid and clear. How do you do that?
Krista recently posted..Quilts

Heather September 13, 2011 at 7:05 am

Oh thank you, Krista!

Mostly, I just do it. I have to make myself NOT THINK a little bit. Usually, like with this drive with Elsie, I’ll just be struck with a reason to want to write. Like thinking about the past, the way I hid my recycling. heh. And my sobriety story just shows up in the details of these moments. That’s what I love about Just Write.
I maybe made NO sense just now. Am sleep-deprived. :)

Erin September 13, 2011 at 7:13 am

I love your words and willingness to bare your soul.
Erin recently posted..a working mom’s grace

Christine@Coffees & Commutes September 13, 2011 at 7:17 am

I think you are a master at this, truly. I wrote something, but I think it’s too “thinky” to link up, so I’ll be back to participate next week. I promise!!
Christine@Coffees & Commutes recently posted..On authenticity

Adventures In Babywearing September 13, 2011 at 7:26 am

Love.

Steph
Adventures In Babywearing recently posted..Peacetown

Bridget September 13, 2011 at 7:26 am

It must be roll-down-the-windows-and-enjoy-the-day all over the country right now. Funny how something as simple as that can be so simultaneously similar and different for two people in two different places.
Bridget recently posted..Simplicity of Static

molly September 13, 2011 at 7:27 am

Short but a good little snippet of your life.

This is a great link-up idea especially for me. Sometimes I write things just to write and no one ever sees it or comments. Story of my life.
molly recently posted..The Shift

Amber September 13, 2011 at 7:43 am

I think boredom in parenthood is hard to contain so we all seek for something–anything–to make us feel worthwhile. When I let myself sit and feel, my kiddos hugs and kisses are what I need.
Amber recently posted..The Face of An Angel

beth September 13, 2011 at 8:07 am

Great idea. I looking forward to “just writing” and link up here.

Lisa/Mommy Mo September 13, 2011 at 8:18 am

I want to participate in this exercise so badly because I already know what I would write and I know what I would title it- *Anguished* or *Grieving*. However, certain people could (or do) read my blog that could take my words the wrong way and might unintentionally be hurt by them. I can’t post something that could potentially do that and I certainly can’t *just write* with those thoughts weighing me down and making me hold back. Maybe I will write the piece and just email to you (and a few others). We’ll see.

I’m going for a run this morning and well, running always allows my mind to clear up the clutter and make sense of the un-sense.

Heather September 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

Oh lady, I hope you write it out. To get it out. Not that it makes it go away, but it just helps. Of COURSE you can email me. Not everything has to be public, huh? I mean, you don’t even have to email me of course…but maybe just write. I love you!

xo

Jo September 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

You are lovely and you made me brave. I’m number 20.

Erica@PLRH September 13, 2011 at 8:36 am

Heather, thank you for starting this exercise! It’s so simple yet so powerful… and exactly what I needed.

Again, your post brought back memories from my childhood… just the simple mention of the recycling bin. I am grateful for the choice both you and my mother made. So very, very grateful.
Erica@PLRH recently posted..This Day Sucks

Megan at SortaCrunchy September 13, 2011 at 8:37 am

How to find a word that conveys what I feel about how you have fun now? So beyond glad.

Thank you for this challenge, Heather. I write without thinking in my mind every moment of the day. How very, very rarely do I force those words from my brain to the keyboard. Let’s do this more often.
Megan at SortaCrunchy recently posted..it is grace

Kirsten September 13, 2011 at 8:43 am

just write. that’s all I needed to hear, last night. Thank you to the lady who manages to inspire me even when I feel its a hopeless cause.
Kirsten recently posted..On Harvest Moons and writing

Jamie September 13, 2011 at 8:50 am

This is like a photograph…I can see it all! Awesome!
Jamie recently posted..best feeling ever

Heather of the EO September 13, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I just wanted you to know that I’m in love with your post. Thank you so much for writing along with me. I would have commented to say that but your blog hates me. It wants me to keep switching google accounts to comment and then it says JUST KIDDING YOU STILL CAN’T COMMENT.
So I tricked the system and told you here. :)

Jamie September 14, 2011 at 7:37 am

Thank you! That means so much to me!! I’m sorry my blog is being weird, but I appreciate you going above and beyond to give me some encouragement!! Thanks for doing this exercise, too. It was fun and inspiring.
Jamie recently posted..best feeling ever

Melissa Goerke September 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

I love this exercise. It is just what I needed today. I look forward to going to read all of the other entries while I am getting my infusion :-)

You are a great writer. Beautiful descriptions and most importantly I can feel you in your words.

Thank you for doing this!

Jen September 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

I had to be a part of this. This morning, I had to write. I had to. And it had to be raw and real and open. Thanks for hosting this, I probably wouldn’t have written and let it out otherwise.

Elaine September 13, 2011 at 9:13 am

I can SO relate to how that USED to be our recycling. ;-)

And I “just wrote” and it felt SO, so good. LOVING this link up already.
Elaine recently posted..Rocking

designhermomma September 13, 2011 at 9:15 am

WooHoo! This is so fun, going to come back later today to get some reading done!
designhermomma recently posted..Gage, What did you just put in your ear?

Tabitha Blue / Fresh Mommy Blog September 13, 2011 at 9:33 am

Love this idea!!! I wasn’t fully prepared this week, and just heard about it, but I love it! I liked up my last post, although it was written about a previous day, the memory was fresh… and I just wrote.

Thanks for hosting!

suzannah {so much shouting, so much laughter} September 13, 2011 at 9:37 am

so poignant. i may just come back to this at naptime.
suzannah {so much shouting, so much laughter} recently posted..lost and found

Ashleigh Baker September 13, 2011 at 9:56 am

I love the look of your current fun and your heart-home.

And this link up? Just splendid.

Issa September 13, 2011 at 10:12 am

I wrote one. I kinda loved doing this. Thank you Heather.
Issa recently posted..Bath time

Ellie September 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

Oh, you can free write like nobody’s business, my friend. Just beautiful.

And can I tell you how much I love this? Just Write? It made me gobble up moments, really see and feel them like never before.

I love this. So much.

-Ellie
Ellie recently posted..The Sign

nicole September 13, 2011 at 11:12 am

Thanks so much for this exercise! I just wrote the kind of post I would normally never write, but I really like it.

And totally random, but at Zumba we do a routine to Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, but the song is in Spanish. It makes me laugh every time.
nicole recently posted..A Bad Night

The Dalai Mama September 13, 2011 at 11:54 am

What a great idea–and just what I needed. As a writing teacher, you’d think I’d freewrite more often. Thanks for this and I am not looking forward to Tuesday’s each week.
The Dalai Mama recently posted..Picture Day

Deb @ San Diego Momma September 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Love it, love it, love it.
(That was me, free writing)
XO
Deb @ San Diego Momma recently posted..The Blackout

alita September 13, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Free writing is an art form, and you do nail it on the wall.

I think my favorite line from this is “I am chasing boredom with a song.” Which is much better than chasing it with something else.

Kate September 13, 2011 at 12:46 pm

the recycling bin…it reminds me of my own knowledge of bottles, syringes, and the people in my life who have tried so desperately to normalize them, hide them or cover them with soda type things. it brought me to my knees, in a happy way for you, and a hopeful way for others.
Kate recently posted..Alone

Sara Sophia September 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I’m in. So so in <3

–and I got your email…this is mah responser thing –

PEEP,
S.S.
Sara Sophia recently posted..blood poetry.

tammy@meadows speak September 13, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Thanks Amber from “Run Amuck” for sharing this! This is exactly what I needed.

Elizabeth September 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

My plan was for this to be my return to blogging, but I haven’t gotten to it. Yet. I’m still hoping to. It just might be after everyone else is in bed late tonight.The work never stops….

Corinne September 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I just have to say… isn’t it so fun to have a little girl to sing that song to?
Lovely writing, my friend. Thank you for the nudging. I’ve missed writing… (and not just fill in the pictures type of writing…) :)
Corinne recently posted..On writing…

Arianne September 13, 2011 at 3:06 pm

So in too. Adore. <3
Arianne recently posted..Just Write. The First.

Christa September 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm

What a gift, Heather! Thanks so much. I’ll see you on Tuesdays!
Christa recently posted..letting go…

Vixen September 13, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Wow, Heather…your writing really inspired me. I have been blocked for so long and now I could let some out. It was tight and hard and it’s not good yet, but it started flowing and all because of you and your words.
Vixen recently posted..Scientists tell us that the fastest animal on earth, with a top speed of 120 feet per second, is a cow that has been dropped out of a helicopter

Ann September 13, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I love that you’re doing this. I LOVE the amazing response. I love the badge. I love this post.
I love you.

But that’s all.
Ann recently posted..False Positive

Amy @ Never-True Tales September 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Love this post, and love the idea of the free writes. I’m looking forward to trying to participate next week, or the next!
Amy @ Never-True Tales recently posted..Believing what you see on TV

Katherine September 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Thank you for doing this- I feel like it gave my mind some much needed exercise.
Katherine recently posted..Story time

Adventures In Babywearing September 13, 2011 at 11:13 pm

Heather!! LOOK at all these LINKS!

Steph
Adventures In Babywearing recently posted..Peacetown

Heather September 14, 2011 at 6:36 am

I KNOW! I’m so grateful, I just can’t believe it!

Michelle September 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Incredible all around!
Michelle recently posted..articles home

Callie Feyen September 14, 2011 at 7:40 am

I loved, “I realize that I am chasing boredom with a song,” and I felt like I was in the car with you.

Hope I linked up correctly. What I shared came from a freewrite as well as something I thought that I’d never write about.
Callie Feyen recently posted..Clumps of Moments

Heather September 14, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hi Callie,

I’d be happy to check to see if your link worked if you’d like! I’m just not sure what number you are. It’s hard to tell by those little pictures and chosen titles.

Thank you!

Anneke September 14, 2011 at 8:30 am

Can I really “just write”? I am humiliated because this is what I do and then I forget the semi-colons and commas and dots and dashes… or I use them too much… I never would have written a thing in my life had I worried about all those little things…

I know they are important but I mix them all up…

Heather September 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm

ME TOO. I have no grammar skills because I’m too busy pouring words out. I’m going to say that this is GOOD. I realize grammar is important, too…but I just can’t seem to get myself under control :)

Sarah@EmergingMummy September 14, 2011 at 10:58 am

Beautiful, Heather. and thank you – I needed to scrawl this morning and, even though it makes me feel all naked and vulnerable, it’s good. Right?!?
Sarah@EmergingMummy recently posted..In which I am stalling and just writing – on a pumpkin

Heather September 14, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Well. *I* think it’s good. My humble opinion :) I’ll be reading it soonly and THEN I’ll let you know.

KIDDING. Of course I’m going to love it and appreciate its vulnerability…I already know.

xo

Liz September 14, 2011 at 11:57 am

A song conveys so much when contrasted by an image with what was and is no more.
Liz recently posted..Just Write