in the big woods

December 19, 2011

This picture is from like two weeks ago. You know, when I should have been focusing on Christmas to-do lists, but was instead just walking around Target aimlessly, not buying anything.

Now I’m all stressed and I wish Christmas didn’t have to be that way and sure I do a lot of it to myself by procrastination but it also seems like even if I do some things ahead of time, the lists just keep adding stuff to themselves. (yes, I realize that’s a hugely confusing run-on sentence but I’m too tired to change it.)

I wish this season was more like it was on the prairie. You know, with the Ingalls, in the little house. Just candy and a violin and some food to make the whole family overjoyed. No hustle and bustle, just a cozy fire and some singing and tradition.

Anyway. I love Christmas. I really do. I especially love the idea of Christmas being like that.

I really have no point. I just wanted to share the Elsie at Target photo because I love Elsie and Target and the way the lights are. And now I have to go keep spinning my wheels. Why is that when I have a Christmas to-do list, I suddenly believe that all other things have to be done too? Like all the laundry and cleaning? That’s just silly.

The End.

P.S. I asked Asher what I should do to stop being so stressed and he said, “Eat more.” Apparently I’m teaching really good coping skills.

(I like that idea. Where are the sugar cookies?)

Liv December 19, 2011 at 11:15 am

I wish Christmas, no, most of life was that way too.

molly December 19, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I’m stressed too. My just write post from last week was about how I wish Christmas wasn’t about gifts. I’m not even close to being done yet. But this is how I am. I wait until the last minute to finish. Dare I say that my procrastination has become a tradition? :)

The Target photo is perfect!

Jessica December 19, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I just had a nice, healthy discussion about Christmas and expectations and different choices for next year. I want to find a new way to celebrate with the kids next year and I think I am gettin closer to a decision. Less stress. More love. More giving. Sleeping babies in carts make for lovely strolls in stores.
Jessica recently posted..Monday Mumbles

angela December 19, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Sigh. I am like this, too. I love the season, but I wish I could pause each day and savor it a little more, instead of running around.

Ann December 19, 2011 at 2:55 pm

You do have a point, and I wish desperately we could chuck this whole gift tradition out the window.

But that’s easy to say as a grown up. Especially a grown up who got plenty of nice gifts growing up.

SIGH.

Adventures In Babywearing December 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm

That is a REALLY great picture.

Steph
Adventures In Babywearing recently posted..Jamming til the jam is through

Layla Payton December 19, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Hee-hee. I saw this pic on Instagram. I get such a kick from your photos on there. Thanks again for coming up with “Just Write.” It’s a great way to blow off steam, jot down craziness, or get sentimental.

P.S. Sugar cookies cure things. I am sure of it.

MamaBear December 20, 2011 at 12:05 am

I can totally relate to the part about things on the table…it’s like that here too except today the teacher gifts went to school because I WANTED MY DINNING ROOM TABLE BACK! Of course the space those baskets were on is now filled with craft supplies from an art project Julia is doing.

I think we forget that even the FUN and Magic of Christmas takes up space and time and since we don’t get a break from the day in and day out of life ANY extra thing seems like a lot. I’m still trying to put into words how peaceful this year is for me despite a long to do list. I’m sure having steady income makes a huge difference, but I’m not stressing about little things like the fact that I don’t have Elsa’s stocking done or the fact that five frames sit empty on my mantel because I haven’t printed the stocking holder photos yet.

Have a very Merry Christmas Heather! I was so glad to hear the news about Elsie’s CT scan!
MamaBear recently posted..25 Days of Christmas Ornaments – Day Nineteen

Elizabeth December 20, 2011 at 10:23 am

Eat more. Smart boy you have there.

I’m feeling the same way this year, by the way. Big hug.
Elizabeth recently posted..excavation/emanation