complications after tubal ligation: part 2

February 27, 2012

Oh friends. I’m sitting here overwhelmed with gratitude for the way you’re taking your time to email me with your stories and/or your willingness for me to ask you some questions if you’ve had your tubes tied. (See part one about the aftermath of a tubal ligation.)

Writing about this here has been so eye-opening, and that’s a complete understatement.  What I know for sure is that doctors a) don’t know enough about this and/or b) don’t take it seriously by way of blaming other possibilities for the symptoms. But I know, I just know, that there’s no way that it is a coincidence that this many women would be experiencing the same thing after having had their tubes tied.

Many of you are asking what my symptoms are and yes, I’m willing to share. The only reason I didn’t in my first post is because I didn’t want to lead people to believe that their similar symptoms are for the same reason. You know, in case their symptoms are because of something else, I wouldn’t want to put ideas in people’s heads, I guess. I still feel this way. Be sure to educate yourself on your own personal situation. Of course, it may differ from mine and those of the people I’m hearing from.

First of all, I was reading through the many many emails I received overnight this morning and I was struck with what I want to say in all of this. Ladies, we know our bodies. Our bodies know us. We need to listen to our heart-guts. We need to use our voices. We need to stick up for ourselves when the medical community doesn’t take us seriously or isn’t sure what to do with female issues.

I can admit that I’ve sat in many doctor’s appointment over my lifetime and felt small. I’ve come into the appointment knowing whole-heartedly that something is wrong and many times I’ve known what is wrong and I end up shrinking back. Getting intimidated. Faltering. I’m sick of it.

Women’s health issues are complicated and I’m not faulting the practice of medicine for not perfecting their responses. I’m simply saying that women are often disregarded as irrational. And not only that, but because the issues are often complicated, they are often shrugged off as occasional hormonal imbalances. In my case, when I brought up concerns about my symptoms after having my tubes tied, the doctor immediately concluded that I’m struggling because I’m 8 (nearly nine) months postpartum and chalked up my extreme depression and anxiety (and other physical complications) to breastfeeding.

She suggested I stop breastfeeding and said she hoped that would help. (Yes, I’ll be finding a new doctor.)

I know myself. I know I have struggled with PPD and anxiety in the past but this is something far greater than the experiences I had after the boys.

• my anxiety was so debilitating that no matter what I tried in over-coming it, mind over matter, deep breathing and yoga, etc…I could hardly function. Ryan had to start staying home from work. It was awful. (I’m using past tense because I’m on an anxiety medication to treat this symptom currently–and Dear God, I hope I don’t always have to treat symptoms with medication rather than the root of the problem.)
  • my depression was heavier than ever. Of course, anxiety and depression go hand-in-hand and they were skipping along having a great time together. This was a totally different depression than I’ve experienced before. I don’t know how to describe it other than hopeless. Just a terrible foreboding ugly thing like never before.
  • My skin has broken out in itchiness. I could scratch at my hands and arms all day long. It’s so distracting and painful. This is more evidence that something crazy hormonal is going on.
  • My digestive system is seriously wonky. I’ve never had any issues with this at all and now I do. I won’t go into detail. You’re welcome.
  • I have a few more personal symptoms that I’ll spare you. They don’t feel bloggable to me. If you’d like to know more, feel free to email me.
Because I’m only 9-ish months into this, my previous research and the emails I’ve been receiving since yesterday reveal a few more common problems that women have after tubal ligation. I have not experienced these because I’m still breastfeeding and haven’t gotten my period yet. (Sorry, male readers–as if you’re still reading this.)
  • majorly heavy periods starting only after the procedure
  • irregular periods
  • more painful cramping and pain around the time of the period and sometimes all the time
Women have also reported these complications due to having had a tubal ligation:
  • ectopic pregnancy
  • endometriosis (painful thickening of the lining of the uterus)
  • as I mentioned before, early menopause (this seems to be the most common)
But Heather, WHAT CAN WE DO?
Good question. My doctor actually told me that a tubal reversal is not an option. I’ve learned since that appointment that that simply isn’t true. There are professionals that do take this condition seriously and I’ve read some things that state that reversals are not as complicated as some doctors believe them to be. Many doctors do reversals.
I also know women who have been put on hormone replacement therapy and medication (like me). I’m actually having my hormone levels checked this week to do some more digging into where I’m at with this whole thing.
Lastly, another important message I want to send out because of all of this? I’m notoriously impulsive and I trust unflinchingly quite readily. When the doctor told me this was a minor thing to do, I gave it very little thought. I did what so many of you admitted in your emails…especially after c-sections, we figure “well, you’re in there anyway, no big deal!” But it is. It’s a very big deal. I’m learning the hard way that sometimes it’s best to sit back and think things over. To ask myself what my body was made to do and what messing with it may cause. That’s not to say that I would forgo birth control all-together, but I wouldn’t do something so severe if I had it to do again.
Thank you BIG to each one of who has emailed, tweeted and started conversations on facebook. It matters so much that we talk about these issues. You’re the best.

P.S. There’s a lot to learn from the comments on the original post, in case you’d like to learn more.

Disclaimer: I am a woman telling my personal story and simply encouraging women to educate themselves about their decisions. I’m in no way suggesting that every situation is the same. There are many variables and unclear aspects to every medical condition/issue. I do not mean to suggest that if you are experiencing complications after a tubal ligation you should be certain each symptom is related. Some of these symptoms could be related to other conditions and these posts are only meant to encourage you to do research and talk openly with medical providers about your unique situation. The “research” I’m doing here is simply a conversation and is in no way scientific. But you knew that. Thank you.

(For an update, two years later, click here.)

COMMENTS ON THIS POST ARE NOW CLOSED. FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE SEARCH FACEBOOK FOR “THE NEW PTLS GROUP” THANK YOU.

{ 62 comments }

Susan February 27, 2012 at 11:38 am

Just a quick note from a reader who is 53! I had my tubal ligation/cauterization back in 1986 and it was entirely without any side effect. Except I didn’t have any more babies! I am the mom of 3 adult children, who were born within 4 years. In other words, when my 3rd child was born, my other two were almost 2 and almost 4! yikes! If I saw my doctor today who did my procedure I would hug and kiss him. All that to say, my heart goes out to you and the other ladies who have had difficulties and awful side effects/results from having a tubal type of sterilization. You are in my prayers. I’m so sorry for the pain you are experiencing.

(I should add, I had a “normal” menopausal experience 20 years afterward, which was in line with my Mother’s sort-of early menopause at roughly the same age.)

Heather February 27, 2012 at 11:42 am

Thank you, Susan. You bring up something I meant to say. I don’t think every woman suffers complications, but I do think it’s common. I’m so glad you didn’t!

I’m also wondering about the way that tubals have changed over time. That would be another interesting study.

Susan February 27, 2012 at 11:45 am

Thanks Heather – the same thought crossed my mind — so many times things improve over the years but who knows, maybe in my case it was a simpler, less invasive procedure? All the same, what you are reporting here and what you’re hearing back from the other women is certainly troubling. God bless you as you journey on.

vvikki January 13, 2013 at 5:09 pm

Hello for a while I’ve been asking myself has having my tubes tied haad a bigger inpact on my health! I’ve recongnised my moods are up and down I can be fine one minute the next I just. Flip out, I suffer from post natal depression anyway and anxiety but its been a lot worse this time round and I’ve always wondered if it has anything to do with the operation because I’ve had 3 previous cs I never felt like this after so I’m guessing its took affect on me my hair has become more dry, my skin is always itchy and dry, my anxiety has increeased but yet my depression is higher than befoore and I’m taking double doseage its good to know 6ter reading up on this I’m not alone xx

Krista February 27, 2012 at 11:54 am

I saw this pop up on twitter earlier and since I’m having my twins (and last children) very shortly I was considering this if I have to have a c-section (which I really really hope I don’t). Otherwise, the hubby would get the snip. (which apparently also isn’t without risks of chronic pain symptoms. :(
So, obviously I’m concerned, but I did some reading and it seems that perhaps this syndrome is more common in those who have it done as a stand alone surgery rather than as part of a c-section.
I don’t know, definitely something for me to think about now… yikes!
Krista recently posted..Favorite Photo of Me – #febphotoaday

Heather February 27, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Yes. Just simply something to think about and educate yourself on. I don’t know if it’s more common as a stand alone procedure or c-section. Mine was done during a c-section. I just encourage you to look into it thoroughly. Not all women experience negative symptoms, but it appears that many do.

Best of luck to you!

Maria February 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hi Heather,

A woman I work with SWEARS by a doc who does bio identical hormone replacement. She gave me his name, but I lost it. I guess he is so good at balancing hormones that people who have done transgender surgeries go to him…a bit different, but if he can make a dude feel like a hormone balanced women he MUST be good! I can get his name if you would like :)

Also, another thought from my experience..
I am sure that your symptoms do probably stem from your procedure. Something else that you can check yourself now would be if your diet is whacking out your hormones.

Sometimes pregnancy can change our bodies and make us develop allergies. I developed severe allergies after my second son. My seasonal allergies (that I already had) got WAY worse and I also developed food intolerances. I did not realize what my deal was until just recently. It felt like major hormone imbalances. I hate restricting my diet so much, but it greatly affects how I feel. I am now gluten and dairy free and feel SOOOO much better….my hormones are very balanced and my energy level is soaring. I started by eating only meat and veges for a week. I felt like I had a new personality after doing this. I now eat lots more, but realize that any time I have my beloved coffee drink that I feel like the world will cave in after a few hours…my body’s way of screaming at me for drinking it ;)

Hope that helps!

Maria

Cathy February 27, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I have an appointment with my OB next Thursday Heather. I’m hopeful he will hear me out and I plan to bring LOTS of literature with him… Thanks to YOU, I finally had that “AH-HA!” moment last night when I took a few minutes to e-mail you a list of all these symptoms I have that begun shortly after I had my tubal. A VERY wonky stomach (as you so kindly put), soreness, itchiness, electrical/lightening bolt pain in my arms/legs/and most anywhere else, horribly heavy long periods, anxiety that had NEVER been there before… night sweats/night chills, sore breasts that I’d NEVER had before, migraines and headaches several times a week…

I should add that I’m 36 – and have 5 children. I DO realize that many of these issues could be stress related – but I’m here to tell ya… I was THEE most stressed out in my life when my 4th daughter was born and just 3 months later learned I was expecting my 5th child. Plus we had JUST opened a new business/store – and life was crazy. At that point – and even throughout my last (5th) pregnancy, I had NONE of these symptoms. In fact, I hadn’t EVER had ANY of these symptoms at any point in my life until after I had my tubal.

ALL my symptoms are things I wouldn’t have ever tied to having a tubal ligation. However – the ONLY thing all my symptoms have in common is that they started right after I had my tubal.

I’ll keep you posted and let ya know what I learn next week! THANK YOU again for your help – I owe ya one!
Cathy recently posted..The Motherhood Battle

Rachael February 27, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Heather, I am so GLAD that you have mentioned severe anxiety related to childbirth. So many women are either in denial or have not experienced it. I have been criticized and crucified because of it all. We should definitely talk sometime!

Stephanie Hanes February 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Oh, sweet Heather…I just read your first post too because I missed it and I’m almost in tears thinking of all you’ve had to endure. I know life isn’t fair but sometimes things like this make me want to scream, “but why CAN’T life be fair, because this just ISN’T FAIR!!!” I haven’t experienced this syndrome, but I have experienced PPD and postpartum anxiety and it is HORRIBLE. At the worst moment of it I honestly thought I was dying…and I wanted to. I remembering telling my doctor everything and asking her if I was losing my mind, because I had no idea who I was anymore. She looked me straight in the eyes (sweetest doctor ever – I am so blessed – and I so wish you had the same kind of doctor) and said “honey, that is called anxiety. you are NOT crazy.” And she suggested medication and, even though I cringed at the thought, it has given me my life back. Even my husband would say that once I was on medication I was suddenly me again. Like I had stepped out of a year of fog and emerged the same me he fell in love with and married after being gone for so long. I also started seeing a counselor which was the second best decision I made through this, because there was so, so much baggage I had to work through. I just finally weaned off the medication because we are expecting our third (and oh my word I am so excited and nervous and anxious and happy all at once). Anyways…I shared all that to hopefully encourage you that I know what depression and anxiety feel like and there really is healing from it. And I want you to know I’m praying and will continue to. *Hugs*
Stephanie Hanes recently posted..Fresh Brewed Sundays: Count It All JOY

Leah February 27, 2012 at 1:13 pm

If you have a holistic lactation consultant who works around where you live they can offer some great help for ppd. I hear you saying that this is not normal ppd for you but perhaps it may help ease your symptoms until you make a further decision. Kathleen Kendall-Tackett has a great book on ppd/breastfeeding and Jennifer Tow is one of the best holistic lactation consultants with lots of life changing info on her blog. I am praying you find the best help possible for you. Thanks for being brave enough to share. This will help many women.

Varda (SquashedMom) February 27, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Heather, I have to say I have never heard of any of this before you started writing about it… and holy guacamole!

I am just STUNNED at yet another example of Western “get out the scalpel” medicine run amok. To not realize that body parts are connected and that something as “simple” as a tubal ligation could have global/hormonal and far reaching effects, especially when there seems to be so much evidence, is mind boggling. And it sounds like no one has taken this seriously and done a study on it, which makes it easy for doctors to dismiss all these issues as “anecdotal.” This seems nuts, when it seems to occur in percentages that are truly frightening. Damn!

I am so sorry you are going through this! I myself am starting to go through “normal” menopause at 51 and can tell you that’s no bed of roses either, but can’t imagine how mad I’d be if this was the result of a procedure I’d been told was a “nothing” and had no inkling this could occur. I’d be spitting nails right now.

Hugs to you, my friend.
Varda (SquashedMom) recently posted..Magic

Amy @ NTT February 27, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Oh, friend. I am so sorry you’re dealing with this. But of course, as you do so, you’re lightening everyone else’s load by sharing, working through it, and casting light on it in such an inclusive manner. As someone well-accquainted with anxiety, you have my empathy, even though I am not on the same (tubal) road. So glad you’re becoming an advocate for your body. We all need to do so (and all have fallen short at some point, in some doctor’s office somwhere).

susan February 27, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I am curious whether there is any difference between the effects of ligation at the time of cesarean and laproscopic ligation/cauterization years after pregnancy? Did any respondents who had laproscopic ligation have the negative side effects? Like the other Susan who responded, I had the proceedure in the mid-1980s and although I had a post-op bleeding problem, I never had any post- ligation symptoms. But it was eight years after my last birth.

I send blessings and prayers for your healing. Remember to keep loving your body back to health.

Lisa W February 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

After 2 c-sections I decided in 2008 (at the age of 28) to have my tubes tied, about 2 yrs after my second child was born. The contraceptive pills and shots screwed me up, so I figured this was safer. While I was warned about the heavier periods I thought okay, I can do that. HOLY CROW. But still, happy with my decision. Last fall I decided enough was enough and something needed to be done, and a relative told me about NovaSure, which (look away now if you’re squeamish) basically cauterises your uterus. Fine, sign me up. That or buy me stock in Tampax and painkillers. I was at the point where I’d cramp for a week and bleed another 2 and then feel weak the remainder of the month.
I’m not regretting either decision, but I’ve noticed in the last couple of months my depression worsened markedly. The anti depressants are helping, but I think I’ll now be asking my doctor about my hormone levels.

Sorry. That rambled a bit. My overall point was that you don’t have to be cursed with heavy periods, and that I think having it done laparoscopically is probably a better idea. But I live in the UK where there’s free health care, so another procedure doesn’t mean more bills.

Heather February 27, 2012 at 2:49 pm

susan, good question. I’m beginning to wonder the same thing. An OBGYN mentioned on Twitter that there are not the same issues with cauterization. Interesting. Something that needs more thorough research, indeed.

Thank you for your prayers!

Lisa S. February 27, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Hello Ladies,

I had tubal ligation via laparascopy about 3 years ago and I did notice some changes in how I felt overall and when I had my periods. And like you, Heather, I had THE WORST itchy skin for what seemed like no reason. Of course, my GYN said there was no connection. I really found that hard to believe and still do. Think of the sudden change your high-producing, active ovaries have undergone. They’ve been that way your whole life. I am no medical professional but doesn’t it seem obvious that they’ll need to re-adjust and rewire themselves if they’ve been cut off from their transport route?

Sadly, there may be something to the notion that it puts you into a different hormonal state (I hesitate to say menopause because wow that is a scary thought if you are in your 20′s and 30′s). After taking a salvia test to determine my hormonal (im)balances, I was able to convince my reluctant GYN to write a script for bio-identical progesterone, which I took to a compounding pharmacist. I’ve been on that for about 9 months and it is working well. I’ve researched synthetic hormones and they seem too risky to me. We all have to make our own decisions, but I highly recommend trying bioidentical hormones if you choose hormone therapy as a solution. They are more more like your natural hormones than the synthetic ones are – which I think is another no-brainer that some doctors (no offense to those of you who are doctors) just do not get.

Don’t be afraid to tell your doctor you want to try them. She or he can always be a partner in monitoring your progress to be sure they are working effectively – and learn something about a non-pharmaceutical approach.

Take heart ladies, seek out good advice from women you trust, and be good to your bodies. You can get through this.

Tiffany February 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

This post(and the prior) was surprising and much needed. I would like to ask if any have shared similar symptoms or symptoms (period) after the Essure procedure? I am six months post My “female sterilization” procedure and am struggling. Any info would be appreciated.

Heather February 27, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Hi Tiffany,
I’m not in the know about the Essure procedure but if it changes things hormonally I wouldn’t be surprised if it causes issues. It would be a good thing to go over with your doc. I hope someone with experience notices your comment here and can give you some feedback.

Shannon February 27, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I’m so happy you changed doctors! I’m just horrified that she would suggest breastfeeding is the source of your depression because it is scientifically untrue. Breastfeeding produces oxytocin which is a happy hormone. She should know that!
Shannon recently posted..Healthy Homemade Granola Recipe

Anti-Supermom February 27, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Heather, I’m just proud of you for sharing this, for being bold, for stepping up to the plate and taking action.

I’m certain that you will find peace and health, I’m just sorry that you have to go through the journey.

Hugs

Meagan February 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I have to admit I opted not to have my tubes tied after my 2nd c-section. My husband and I had always agreed that it would be his turn then, so we hadn’t done any research or planned. When they offered, we declined.

Thank you for sharing this, though. I know a lot of women who have opted to have their tubes tied but have no idea if any have had problems. Women’s health is certainly contentious lately, with a lot of misconceptions out there, a lot of unknowns, and a lot of new information frequently emerging. I hope you find an answer that helps you.
Meagan recently posted..What I’ve been reading: Bringing Up Bébé

Michelle McDonald Campo February 27, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. I’m considering tubal ligation with my c-section scheduled for late March. I was wondering if anyone having these problems also had hormonal or fertility issues prior to the procedure. I had secondary infertility caused by polycystic ovary syndrome (pcos) and have had hormone imbalance, mood swings, facial hair growth, acne, and insulin resistance related to pcos. Has anyone with pcos has a tubal ligation and did this worsen the symptoms or alleviate them? Thanks!

Kate February 27, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I haven’t had a tubal ligation, but I am infertile, diagnosed in 2004 after a year of trying to make a baby with no success. There was endometriosis, multiple fibroids (that multiplied…) and a wildly fluctuating hormonal level. In ’06 I finally had to have a hysterectomy when the Dr discovered so many fibroids that he quit counting at 10. Yeah. Rough. Then barely 7 months later, due to scar tissue that formed from that surgery, an ovary became necrotic and had to be removed. So… no uterus, useless fallopians and one ovary since ’07.

One ovary was fine, really, until about two years ago when I started experiencing menopausal symptoms. Since I was a teen, my body clearly showed me the ups & downs of my hormones each month; and once the periods ended (SO glad about that- they were horrendous) and everything evened out, I felt fantastic. Until ’10, and the onset of menopause. All the up & down stuff ceased, hot flashes increased to a point where I experienced upwards of a dozen or more a day, and would drip in sweat from them and I felt AWFUL.

Then… in an entirely unrelated event, my husband and I gave up eating meat. In two days, the hot flashes dropped off to almost nothing. In two months, I began to feel the old up & down hormonal feelings again, my sex drive returned and I felt amazing. Truly amazing. We increased consumption of plant-based foods and have not returned to eating meat. My hormones all behave normally again.

I will turn 48 this week.

So… here’s the thing, and I am NOT saying this in any way to suggest ANYONE can achieve the same thing through their diet, but if one consumes a diet that includes conventionally raised meat, you are consuming hormones used to treats the animals. Add those to the wildly fluctuating hormones we already deal with, and it’s a land mine with a twitchy switch. I would have NEVER expected that giving up eating meat would bring me such sweet relief, but it did. And the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I have no thoughts that it will take away the symptoms anyone is feeling after their tubal. But, if just ONE person finds the same sweet relief, then this long-winded response will have helped.

Menopause in our 40′s is NOT normal. Mine wasn’t questioned since I only had one ovary to work with, but to find that it wasn’t supposed to be happening to me yet, well that was an eye-opener. I have had ZERO hot flashes since last May when we cut out meat, and I feel the normal hormonal changes, once again, each month. For me, it truly is a miracle.

I hope and pray that everyone suffering through these issues will find some relief, somewhere. Thank you, Heather, for being brave and strong and using your beautiful voice to reach out and get women talking.
Kate recently posted..almost 18, and still taking baby steps

Cheryl Jazzar February 27, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I’m so glad you posted on this. After my first appearance on television promoting WellPostpartum.com a woman called me, begging me to look into Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome (PTLS). There is a blog, http://posttuballigationsyndrome.blogspot.com/ and book on the subject that convinced me to advise against it.
As is the case for PPD, there are alternatives to medication for PTLS support that are safe and effective.
Best wishes,
Cheryl

theresa Mitchell February 27, 2012 at 7:40 pm

I would like to suggest biodentical hormone replacement for women who prefer the natural route over man made medications. We have a brilliant nurse here in Hickory, N.C. who specializes in natural hormone replacement. I suffered from severe anxiety/depression after the birth of my daughter and had a difficult time finding an antidepressant I could tolerate. Because of this, I was forced to try many alternative therapies, from accupuncture to biofeedback therapy. All of these therapies were helpful in some way but I eventually ended up on Prozac(My fifth trial of antidepressants) and ativan which did eventually help the depression and anxiety. I was willing to take both meds as long as i needed them, but two years postpartum I decided it was time to wean off of the antianxiety and was having a tough time doing so. This is when i discovered biodentical hormones, a friend referred me and I ended up on Progesterone cream and testosterone also. Both of which were low. This does not always show up in bloodwork; however, it takes an educated medical professional to review your history and they will then go by your symptoms. Prozac may have helped with the depression but was destroying my sex life with my very patient husband. Testosterone helped with that considerably. Progesterone allowed me to wean off the ativan(antianxiety) within 2 weeks. I had been trying on my own for months. I feel like a new person on the natural hormones. I feel like this is an area that needs to be studied more with PPD. I am currently weaning off the Prozac, no matter how wonderful it works, not being able to enjoy my sex life with my husband fully is a big deal. I hope this helps someone. I had quite a long trial with this awful condition. But thank God for treatment. I cannot imagine going through those 2 years without it. I could have been suicidal–so basically, untreated,
severe PPD can be deadly. This is a serious condition that needs more study.

Elaine February 28, 2012 at 12:14 am

I think this is kinda a big deal and I’m glad you’ve brought it up here on your blog and that us women are discussing it. I’m amazed at the things I am reading. Just wow. Thanks Heather…
Elaine recently posted..In the Silence / Miss Elaine-ous Monday

Galit Breen February 28, 2012 at 7:29 am

There is so very much here, heather. About trusting ourselves and speaking up for ourselves and asking for help and answers and then more help.

But mostly I just want you to know that I’m thinking of you, a lot.

xo
Galit Breen recently posted..Easy

Corrina February 28, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I am heartbroken for you and these complications. I was planning on having a tubal ligation during my 3rd c-section 3 years ago. It seemed like the easy, practical way to go. But I did some googling not long before my baby was due and found some similar discussions to this and I changed my mind at the last minute. I guess I was right to do so. I have no way of knowing if I would have had complications or not. I hope you find some answers and a doctor that will listen to you!! Thank you for your honesty and opening the discussion.
Corrina recently posted..What I’ll be doing today

Barbie February 29, 2012 at 1:23 am

I am so thankful so many came forward to share their information with you. I hope it will help you and many others. Sorry I haven’t replied to your email yet. Been sick with the flu. But the doctors confirmed my biopsy showed uterine polyps but no unhealthy cells. We are taking the wait and see approach. If I began bleeding again, I will need surgery to remove the polyps since I am “post menopausal” at the age of 46.
Barbie recently posted..Winner! – I Love Your Presence Giveaway

lisa February 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Although I have not had a tubal ligation, I encourage you to keep exploring and seeking out answers to your symptoms. After my second child was born I began experiencing a wide variety of symptoms–fatigue, anemia, weight loss, digestive issues that increased in severity as the weeks went by. My ob/gyn tossed it up to post partum depression, exhasution from taking care of two children, hormonal fluctuations caused by birth and breast feeeding etc… but never looked for any other underlying cause. I accepted her explanations and ended up really really ill. I finally went to an internist for a full physical and ended up in the hosptial needing surgery–I had ulcerative colitis an autoimmune disease. I believe it is hard for some doctors to look past the pregnancy as a reason for symptoms. In fact you may want to get a full blood work up–not just hormones–to see if everything else is okay. While I was in the hospital my ob/gyn came by and asked me why I hadn’t told her how sick I was and all I could think was that I thought I had.

Tawney March 22, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hi! I am sorry you are going through such a hard time. I have had some trying times with my own reproductive health (partial hysterectomy at 38) nothing due to a tubal though and doctors. What prompted me to reply is to let you know about some ways I have found to deal with my own anxiety/depression. 11 years ago I started on medication. I tried many different kinds. I think I also gained weight with each different medication. So I went from a normal size of 6-8 to 20. I did not ever feel good on medication. I did discover that for me it starts with anxiety and blooms into the dark pit of depression. A few months ago I had had enough with feeling like I was wrapped in cotton. I was always just level and so much more that I did not like. I weaned myself off the way I was instructed to do so but was overwhelmed with feelings of anxiety. It can be so exhausting. I decided to seek out a more natural approach. Mary Gladstar has a book called “Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health”. She has a whole section devoted to stress and strengthening the nervous system. Part of what is really helping me are flower essences. I know it might seem a little weird but Bach’s has one called Rescue Remedy and it really works. Also make sure you are getting proper nutrition. I have a really awesome shake I make for myself (she tells you how) and when I go without it for a while my anxiety returns. Anyway us women do need to stick together. It isn’t always going to be hormonal. It could definitly be nutritional. That seems to trigger all sorts of different reactions. Anxiety is telling us something is wrong. Keep listening to your body. I do hope you find a resolution soon.

Carly April 13, 2012 at 9:21 am

Very ironic that I found this website. I have always been very laid back, with minimal stress. After having complications with my last pregnancy in 2010, I decided she would be our last child ( we already had a son) and decided a tubal would be the best option. I did reseach it, but decided to take the chance since birth control was not an option and I was already scheduled for a C-section. Fast forward to summertime of 2011. While I did have some changes (new job, husband’s new work hours, sons stating school), I have always accepted these and prided myself on embracing challenges. Not this time! Major anxiety, nervousness, and lack of focus started interferring with my life. I would fly off the handle at the smallest things and cry over every thing ( I was never a crier). I finally got to speak with my doctor. I explained to him the severe montly ordeal that was new, my easy periods had turned into explosions (TMI), and I could not stand myself not knowing whether I was going to be nice or not so nice from day to day. While we are still in the talks about a possible hysterectomy or uterine ablasion, I have been on a antidepressant for a few months (generic Wellbutrin). Fast forward to now and the fact that the anxiety has gotten worse and I was thinking it might be the medicine. Something pointed me to tubal problems and I am thinking that is what caused the anxiety to begin with, but I have no idea whether it can be helped with another medication or something completely different.l UGGGHHH!!!! :)

Jenn August 18, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Thank you for your post. I had a TL back in Oct 2011. I have been on a horrible emotional roller coaster ever since. After my son was born, I became depressed and blamed it on postpartum depression. Then I noticed I had frequent mood swings, loss of libido, heavy periods and, my breast mass has significantly decreased. Not to mention my face is filled with acne. I was surprised after googling to find out these symptoms may be caused by the TL. I have not talked to my doctor about my symptoms. However, it seems he’s not even going to acknowledge the fact they may be caused by the TL. . I don’t have to the funds for a reversal. I am so frustrated and upset at myself for not researching this procedure….

Bobbie Lynn May 2, 2013 at 9:07 am

i am in the same postion as you and even in the same time frame i had my tubal done in october of 2011 i have had every single symptom you have and even extreme hot flashes and also weight gain and no matter what i do i cant seem to loose weight have you found any options that have helped besides the tubal reversal bc just like you i dont have the funds for one but i see on here a few people saying things got better after they got theirs reversed

Michelle October 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I know exactly what you are talking about. I tubal reversal took away all my symptoms. I blog about it.

Michelle October 18, 2012 at 2:53 pm

ptlsisreal.blogspot.com
Michelle recently posted..Medical Journal Posts About Filshie Clips and Pain

Glenn October 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I wish I could have you talk to my wife. We have six children in seven pregnancies. She nursed them and had problems in the 8-9 month post time line. More milk demands put more stress on the body etc. We see it in cattle a lot. Nutrition needs increase greatly. With that said You seem to have your own set of complications. I would suggest stopping the nursing and seeing how much affect that has on your condition. The more stresses you can eliminate the clearer the picture will become. In any event remember time cures everything!! Love your writing and wish you the best. P. S. Guy do read your blog because you are so genuine and gutsy.

Reniceshia November 12, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I must comment on this I am going through alot of post tubal ligation syndrome symptoms right now and i wish I could get this clamp off of my tubes right now and i’m only 30 and i’m having a very hard time but it cost so much money any one to help get it done through. Heather I know what your talking about I wanna feel like myself again

Lenay December 4, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I really appreciate your post. I have been suffering from what i think is ptls. I started researching because its been 18 months since my son was born. A few months or so after he was born, I had night sweats (a symptom of PTLS I’ve seen online). I also started suffering from depression, feelings of “nothing”, lack of libido, and other things. I am glad I am not alone. I may make an appointment with my GYN to hear her thoughts.

Tina Pulliam December 17, 2012 at 12:43 am

I had my tubes clamp since 2002 I have 3 children my husband and I want a child together. The problem Im having is sharp pains goin on the right side of my back. When we have intercourse sometime he tell me he feels something hard hitting the stop of his penis and it feels like something streaching apart. It hurts I have to stop I would be in so much pain. I have irregular period I came on last month around the 19th of the month and this month i came on 4 dys early it started off lite then it got heavy clogs and pain on one side which is on my right where my hip and back connect. I been hurting for 3 days. My feet swells I cant walk sometime can someone please help me.

pat December 31, 2012 at 11:27 am

me too i had it real bad . i had my tubes tied after the birth of my 3 rd child …what a mess i was …you name i had it .the anxiety and depressed , and now at age 53 the peri menopause is bad ……..

Amy January 4, 2013 at 9:11 am

I started having symptoms after I had my youngest via c-sec and opted for a tubal ligation “while he was in there”. For years I just kept thinking my body must have just changed due to age and multiple pregnancies, but after some research I am finding that it might be all related to the c-sec. The problem is every doctor I talk to seems to think I am crazy. The worst of my problems are the night sweats I get before my period. These are killing me. My GYN put me on BC, but then I had a migraine for a week and I refuse to go down that road again. sometime I just wish I can have everything removed so I do not have to go through this every month. I feel like my life revolves around horrible PMS and MS.

michelle January 27, 2013 at 6:29 pm

I am also thankful I found this website. Im 27 and I had my tubal two years ago and now feel like it was a mistake. To me every month keeps getting worse. I haven’t been able to get up today even. Every month my periods come at a different time and right before they start I cramp so bad. It’s getting to the point where even where my ovaries should be located is so tender to even touch on my left side. I’m starting to get really worried about the damages this procedure could of caused

Esmer February 13, 2013 at 11:54 pm

i had my tubes tied 10 yrs ago and recently i had a reversal done because of all that i was feeling and complications that i was having as well. now that i had my tubal reversal i can say i have no more pain in my ovaries and i’ve been getting a period like before. when i had my tubes tied my period started to diminish my ovaries would hurt so bad it was bad. so in my case the reversal did help just the fact that i would like to have another baby and no luck it’s been 9 months since my surgery and i haven’t been able to concieve but plan to see my obgyn soon to determine if my tubes are still open. I have 3 wonderful kids that god blessed me with. but i know for a fact that getting your tubes tied is bad. i had my tubes tied at age 21 and i so regret it, i have to be thankful that with the surgery i feel better and i haven’t gotten pains at all in my ovaries and i’ve been getting a period every month. i feel like i’m going back to myself like before i tied my tubes i used to be punctual at getting my period that i didn’t need a preg. test that’s how punctual i was and once i tied my tubes i would go 2 months without getting my period so i started to worry when i met several RN’s and they told me that i was going threw menopause at a early stage since i got my tubes tied so they where very helpful and convinced me on getting it done. hope i helped and may god bless u all!

Inga Ross August 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Please email me. I am 29 years old and had my tubes tied (clamped) 7 years ago. I would really like to talk to you about your reverasal.Please email me . Thanks

Shannon February 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Heather..was reading your story. What ever happened what did you decide to do. I just had my tubal during my 3rd c-sction ( and no I don’t want any more kids) but awoke with such a fealing of forboding and loss..I have a 3 wk old and already I am having trouble with lactation something I never had problems with my other 2 with. Same thing happend to me I specifically asked OB if there were ANY side effects hormonal…with lactation etc..she said no.. and I the trusting lamb did not do any reaserch too concerned with upcoming c-section and baby..I am thinking about TR . HOw did you do after you stopped breastfeading?

see it clearly March 5, 2013 at 9:04 am

..and thankyou Heather for setting up this blog, it is simular to one that saved me from my deepest fears, especially back then when there was not very much being said, of being staight on my way to forevermore having to deal with my life being in and out of the crazy house

see it clearly March 5, 2013 at 9:59 am

everyone, please send this blog to your o.b.g.y.n’s

Martin March 19, 2013 at 11:32 pm

I have been dating a girl for a year. She has told me she wants to marry me. We are both 39 years old. Before meeting her, I had a vasectomy while having a cyst removed. She had an ablation without telling then 6 months later she had a D&C with a larascopic tubal ligation. She told me the night before the surgery she was going into surgery but refused to tell me why. The morning of the surgery she told me what was happening and is scared. She claimed the surgery was to make sure she does not get pregnant. I asked her not to do it. i felt hurt and a seperation between us. I took care of her house and kids for 2 weeks while she was healing. I went to her house and found her passed out on the bathroom floor and got her medical attention. My concern is that she has taken a path in life that I am not interested in. I feel that there isn’t any permanence in the relationship if she did this to keep from getting pregnant knowing I had an old school vasectomy done. (Not scalpel less). Personally, I love her, but do not want to deal post tubal ligation syndrome or any Histerectomy surgeries. Am I being too sensitive to this? Sometimes, I feel I should just end things and move on. Other times I feel that I shouldn’t be bothered by this surgery. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Wanda April 8, 2013 at 7:11 pm

I an 33yrs old… I had my tubal done at the time of my c section… After a few months have gone by I have noticed night sweats, vaginal itching, bad mood swings, memory loss, anxiety, bad cramping…. I wish I would of known the side effects before… Now I’m in tears almost every day trying my hardest to deal with this, wondering if their is any hope to get this undone…. Not only is it effecting me but it’s also effecting the people I love… I went to a doctor an she said it’s just my hormones, an I just had a baby. But I know my body an I have never had any of these systems after having any of my other children…. All I want is to have my life back an to live a normal life…. So when I read your story now I know that I’m not crazy that there is someone out there that is going through almost the same systems as me. That is not all in my head or just because I had a baby… Thank you so much for taking the time to put up this Web site. I hope there are Drs out there reading this that can help us.. And also inform others about what can go wrong…

Bobbie Lynn May 2, 2013 at 8:59 am

i know i am a little late on this post but I AM LOOKING FOR ANSWERS!! first i wanna start by saying i am 23 years old… i had my daughter in august of 2010 via c section and become pregnant in april of 2011 with my son whom i had the end of october 2011 via c section again but this time i decided to get a tubal ligation bc i am young and did not feel i could handle anymore children… my doc did not recommend me to have one since i was so young but it wasnt bc of any symptoms it was because she felt maybe one day i would want another child…well after i had my son and had the csection and they did the tubal i experienced bleeding like normal after pregnancy yet i just kept bleeding on and off for almost 4 months….. the doctor put me on birth control pills she said would regulate my period and it completley stopped it!!!! after 4 months i had my first period which felt like i was going to die bc the cramping was sooo horrible…also it lasted for a week and a half!!!!!!!! i have been experiencing heat flashes like i have never even imagined..and ill get my menstral one month and then i wont get it for 2 or 3 months sometimes… ive experienced weight gain and mood swings and other symptoms of post tubal syndrome yet when i made an appointment with my doctor and told her these things last year she gave me a papsmear and said oh everything iss fine its just hormone imbalance… i do not feel like everything is fine and i dont know what else to do bc my doc is not giving me the answers i need!!!

Jeanie May 22, 2013 at 7:37 pm

HI,
Thank you for your blog! I am 38, had the essure tubal ligation procedure about 2 years ago… and about 3-4 months ago started having constant pelvic pain and breast tenderness went to the obgyn… she checked my hormones and just called to say I’m going through early menopause. I asked her if the pain is somehow related to the menopause, and she said no…but now i’m wondering about PTLS….. arg!

NotAlabRat June 15, 2013 at 1:45 am

Dear Heather,
I have some health concerns that make it very important that I don’t get pregnant again so I’ve been thinking about getting a tubal. But I’ve had doctors misinform me of possible outcomes before so I decided to do some research. I’m so sorry to hear of all you’ve been through!! My husband agreed to get a vasectomy but after I read about the high rates of autoimmune disorders after vasectomy I don’t want him to get one. After reading this I know I won’t have this done either. I’ve already increased my chances of of certain health problems by having a procedure on my kidney, and I’m sick of doctors always whipping out a scaple and a consent form when anything goes wrong! Our bodies are not meant to be cut up the way they are so often. I’ve been following “Katy Says” for muscle/skeletal pain, switched to a primal/paleo diet, quit medicines (and started a few supplements) and I feel better than I have in nearly a decade. But there has got to be a safer way to prevent pregnancy than tubal/vasectomy. And maybe, if I’m lucky, they’ll figure it out someday. But I really feel that women’s sexual health needs to be brought to light more often. The medical community needs to take a closer look! Because of a doctors careless act, I have suffered for years. 2 seconds on his part…he has suffered no harm from his act. But I live with it.

marty July 3, 2013 at 10:00 pm

Thanks for blogging abt this. Im two years into my tl and have now started getting my period every two weeks with very heavy flow. :( i know tmi. I am pretty sure i am anemic. i am scared. But tomorrow i will be scheduling an appt with my obgyn and hopefully get this taken care of. I also have a histor of cervicalcancer in my family so i am definitely calling tomorrow. Thanks for your post.

audrea July 9, 2013 at 1:01 pm

Heather, I have so many questions for you, I dont know where to begin, I had a tubal in 2010 after my second son. I had my children a bit later (32) I also had two c-sections. As well as major i also had my childrren close together as well as the fact that the women of my family all experienced extremely early menopause. My aunt was 38, my mom was 36 when they finished, yep finished not began menopause. My life, well what life , im a mess snd need help. I need some input. I have so much to ask you. Im hoping you will email me, id be so very greatful…

Brooke July 17, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Hi, I had a postpartum tubal (cut and cauterized) march 2011. At first it was ok till December 2012. I am really fertile and have gotten pregnant 2 x previouly on the pill and depo provera shot (3 kids altogether). So I had heavy periods so I went back on the patch (the only thing that worked for me) to keep my period in line. In December I started spotting every day so my doc recomended I stop birth control altogether seeing as I am probably immuned to it now, and hey why do I really need it that’s why I got the tubal. I have had problems ever since. Since April 2013 I have not had a period and have had every pregnancy symptom you can think of. I really felt pregnant. One day in early june I have sever pain and light spotting so went to the er and had ultrasound and my 10th pregnancy test (I felt like I had a miscarriage). Again nothing. I had a previously had another ultrasound scheduled so i still went for that at the begining of July. The tech was shocked to see in there and even told me my ovaries and not where they are supposed to be but couldn’t comment on pregnancy. So I went to my follow up and she says I’m completely fine but will send me to obgyn to find out why no period. I get a call a few days later from her nurse saying she had some news that my uterine wall is so thick i may have to have a dnc while I’m at the doc’s. I can’t handle this, why did I do this in the first place…. they never told me the side effects. I’m only 30 years old and my mother hasn’t even finished menopause yet!!!!! My husband is so sad for me that he has suggested a tubal reversal, we dont care how much it costs. I am so sad and lost and every time I get more bad news I just want to cry. The worst part is I did this to myself :(

Camy July 20, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Thanks for telling your story. I had the tubal procedure done about 3 years ago. I had many symptoms of PTLS. During that time I was not aware of PTLS and attributed my symptoms were related to aging, perimenopause, anxiety, and stress. The anxiety you spoke of reminds me of my own. I have also gained 30 pounds since the tubal that is extremely hard to get rid of. Crazy. I am going to look more into the PTLS. Blessings.

Ğayle Sandefer July 31, 2013 at 1:37 am

I am sitting here feeling so stupid i am 31 and for the past five years i have went from depressed to dang near suicidal. My family is behind me, but backing up fast. I had my tubes tied after almost dying during my pregnancy five years ago The hot flashes use to seem like hell but after letting myself just feel crazy for the past few years they are one of the mild side affects. I want thank you i called the dr and i am going to try and keep myself together for 9 more days, im truly thankful for your post

lyn August 24, 2013 at 7:49 pm

I had my tubes burned on August 12, 2013 at age of 34. I have two children 3 1/2 son and 23 months daughter. 2 days after the ligation, I started feeling nervous, in raged, anxious, severe chills and hotness and wasn’t able to sleep at night times. 3rd night from the ligation, my husband took me to the ER, the ER said all my blood work came normal and urine too. I told him, Ive never had these weird problems in my life, and all this is after the ligation. He, Said it was a possible a reaction to the anesthesia. So, I got back home with Ativan (Lorazepam) and antibiotic. When I got home, I called my OB/GYN, she scheduled me to see her. At the appointment, she claimed that there shouldn’t be any symptoms other than abnormal period, and that my hormone should not be affected. She also claimed that PTLS doesn’t exist and to stop going on the internet for answers. She took my blood for hormone level and in 3 days she called me said everything was normal. She told me to seek a primary doctor and therapist, because I told her I might have made a mistake that I wanted more babies in the future. I said, it’s not the issue, I know in my gut, that the ligation has changed me for the worse. I have looked online daily for answers and have discussed with my husband, that when we have the fund, I wanted to get the ligation reversed. I have found two doctors, Dr. Mor and Dr. Berger, I’m not sure which I want to go to eventhough Im in CA.

Leigh October 24, 2013 at 3:36 am

Hey Ladies
I had my tubes clamped 16 years ago at the age of 30. Up until last year everything has been fantastic and I consider having them done as being one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. Previous to this I had never been on any contraceptives so didn’t notice any changes is pain, mood or bleeding but had terrible night sweats. This however was nothing new because after having each child by caesar, I reacted the same way which I put down to either hormones or the anesthetic. However, lately I am starting to experience symptoms that could either be put down to the onset of menopause (negative test to this though) or tubal ligation syndrome. Mine are predominately to do with excessive bleeding so I am now hanging to have menopause over and done with as I can’t see any point to working on the solution for the few years until menopause. I obviously have been lucky but wish everyone the best and hope you find a explanation or resolution to your issues. I will watch your posts with interest.

Melissa W October 29, 2013 at 10:17 am

Hello Ladies, I’m Melissa I had my tubal in 2003. At first I didn’t have any complications but 3 months after I started to bleed really bad when it was time for AF. I have the bad cramps to where I can’t get out of bed. I never had this before my tubal now my life is wreak I am always depressed. I cry all the time I have pain all over my body through out my life. I had a miscarriage in 2007 and have never gotten pregnant again . Ever since my tubes were tied my life has changed extensively. I can’t stand to hear about pregnancy or anything dealing with the subject. I have friends and family that are PG and I do tell them congrats because it’s the right thing to do. I know how u all feel I’m in the same boat. Any ladies that are thinking about having it done PLEASE DO SOME DIGGING FIRST it will be the worse mistake of your life. If you are young and thinking about it don’t do it just yet because you never know what the future might hold hell you might want more kids one day when you’re married. I pray to GOD every night about my situation because there is nothing else I can do about it reversal is too expensive. God might not come when want him but he is an on time God. I’m 34 by the way and soon I want be able to have kids anymore so I hope I find some way out of this soon. I might just need to check my into a place for depression. It gets so bad sometimes I just stay home alone and just deal with the pain and I just cry. It’s just sad that no doctor tells you about this PTLS. Well God bless you all ladies. I

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }